My Cessna Sim Project

My Cessna Sim Project
To visit my project web site click on the image above or go to: www.mycessnasim.info

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Yokes and Control Wiring

I made a little more progress over the weekend.  The pair of yokes I purchased both had Mic key buttons built in, however the pilots button was not working.  I managed to find an exact match to the very tiny micro switch at a local supplier and purchased one.  I wired the new switch into the pilot's yoke, which was a bit of a pain.  And, decided before installing the yokes to test them one last time.  Somehow, after sitting on a shelf for a year the copilots button decided it no longer wanted to work, and worse, there's no service slack in the wire leads.  So I decided to install the yoke anyway and will make that repair at a later time., but without that slack it requires that I cut into the back side of the molded rubber grip to extend the leads.  And I thought the pilots side was a pain...


Well beyond that I got the engine control, aileron, and rudder axis position sensors connected to the controller and tested through to FSX on my laptop (my test machine).  While it did work, I'm not happy with the rudder position sensor so I am looking at other options for it.  However, all else went in and tested good.  Next up, the elevator control position sensor. I had a design and after buying a few basic parts and test fitting everything I am not so sure about it so that to is back on the drawing board for the moment.


I also found a design flaw with my aileron linkage. While the chain has sufficient tension to move the sprockets without any drag the minimal contact with the chain due to the angle causes the top sprocket to jump teeth anytime the tension gets to high.  To overcome this for now I've added some temporary chain tensioners in the form of a pair of mini bungee cords.  You can see the pilot side bungee (red) in the this pic.  This will all be replaced later by a more mechanically sound spring loaded idler sprocket.

I'll post more as it happens, but that's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment