My Cessna Sim Project

My Cessna Sim Project
To visit my project web site click on the image above or go to: www.mycessnasim.info

Friday, November 11, 2011

In the beginning . . .

So who knew 30+ years ago when I was sitting in front of my Commodore 64 pc flying Microsoft's Flight Sim Version 2 (actually I'll have to go dig through my basement I think back then it was made by Sub-Logic) that I would eventually have a Cessna 172 fuselage and be converting it into a full scale flight sim cockpit.

If you've read the home page at my project website MyCessnaSim.info then you already know a bit about my history with aviation and flight sim'ing.  The site is only a few hours older than this blog and not yet fully built out. I'll be adding to it over the months ahead and trying to keep you posted on my progress through this blog and the website.

I purchased the fuselage in the spring of this year and started a process of planning and building that included a feverish search on e-Bay and through several aircraft salvage yards for all the pieces needed for the build.  I anticipate the project taking about two years to get it to the a "flyable" state.  And, have several upgrade ideas for future phases that will further add realism and enhance the illusion of flight.

My goal is to create as real a flight illusion as possible in a very Cessna-esque but generic General Aviation sim-pit.  My initial flight models will include the Cessna 172, 182, and 337.  Having both single and twin engine configurations presents a few challenges.  As a firm up my plans on how to overcome those challenges.  Later flight models will include the Beach Baron and other conventional twins.

Hope you are able to follow my progress and if you aren't already building a sim-pit, I hope this blog and my website spark your interest.  Sim-Pits come in all shapes and sizes and can be made for as little or as much cash as you choose.  Hope to see you in the virtual skies!

Tom G.

No comments:

Post a Comment